Report on compliance of Municipal Solid Waste Management Rules 2016, Uttar Pradesh
Report of the oversight committee constituted by National Green Tribunal vide order dated 21/10/2019 in O.A. No. 670/2018 Atul Singh Chauhan Vs MoEF & Others on status of compliance of directions of NGT related solid waste management in O.A.No. 606/2018, compliance of Municipal Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016.
The Committee in its meeting at Lucknow on 05/12/2019 and 16/12/2019 interacted with concerned departments i.e. Urban Development Department, UPPCB and visites sites at Lucknow, Mirzapur and Ghaziabad and held discussions with officers of concerned departments therein. The Committee reviewed the progress of compliance of the orders of the NGT in various thematic areas.
The status of solid waste management in Uttar Pradesh are the following:
- Total solid waste generation is 17377 TPD.
- Quantity of collected solid waste is 17329TPD
- 12 MSW treatment and disposal facilities are operational with cumulative treatment capacity of 4615 TPD.
Some of the observations made in the report:
- The Committee observed that about 20 plants of treatment capacity of 4155 TPD are either lying closed or the construction is stopped due to the fact that the project is under arbitration or litigation in Uttar Pradesh.
- Except for very small number of ULBs in the state, the target of achieving 100% source segragation is still not being done in majority of 652 local bodies in Uttar Pradesh.
- The state needs to be directed to develop a mechanism for segregation of solid waste into various components, namely, bio-degradable, non-bio-degradable including recyclable waste, non-recyclable waste, construction and demolition waste as per solid waste rules.
- Rules regarding master plans of the cities to earmark places for setting up of solid waste processing and disposal facilities are still not put in place effectively.
Note: Report uploaded on February 27, 2020
- Report of the Oversight Committee regarding non-compliance of Solid Waste Management Rules 2016 in Indirapuram, Vasundhara and Vaishali, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, 21/02/2022
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding waste management in Indirapuram, Vasundhara and Vaishali, Uttar Pradesh, 15/04/2021
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding solid waste management in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, 15/03/2021
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding pollution of Ramgarh lake and rivers Ami, Rapti and Rohani, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, 12/01/2021
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding dumping of waste in Shakti Khand, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, 02/09/2020
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding dumping of solid waste in the flood plains of Yamuna, Uttar Pradesh, 31/07/2020